Thursday, 7 November 2013

Feminism, My Lack of Catholicism, and Poland Sentimentalism.

Seeing the square as quiet as it is tonight is somewhat haunting yet comforting at the same time. I guess it's safe to say that the tourist season is over, well as over as it can be. All that is left now is the locals running from tram to tram and occasionally buying an overpriced beer. Welcome to Kraków in November.

Last Friday marked my two month anniversary of moving to Poland. I celebrated by eating a massive stick of candy floss and experiencing one of the most morbid holidays I've ever seen - All Saints Day. Don't get me wrong, it was stunning to see the cemetery all lit up, and to some extent I like the tradition... A day to remember everyone who we have lost. But I couldn't help but wonder why this is limited to one day a year. But traditions are traditions, and one doesn't argue with Catholicism.

What can be argued with however, as I discovered this week, is my lack of Catholicism and just general belief in a higher power. I had a 13 year old boy trying to convert me on Wednesday, whilst telling me all the best churches to go to to pray in. I have to be honest, I didn't say much other than teach the word agnostic. I would have loved, however, to write "love is love" on the board and try and convince them that homosexuality is, in fact, not a sin. But hey, you can't win them all.

Today, however, I decided to start a debate about feminism. The room literally divided, it was hilarious. On one side I was told that feminists are not intelligent and on the other I was told that every woman should be a feminist and that women have periods because men would die if they bled that much.
I fell off my chair laughing. Flipping brilliant.

It's hard to say who I prefer teaching- adults, teens, or children. I am lucky enough to work for a language school that accommodates all three, and I teach all three. I came out here believing that I would much prefer to teach adults and that children were sticky and odd. However, with the exception of the army I can safely say that my passion for teaching adults has dissipated somewhat. My children's classes leave me broken and with a ringing in my ears, but feeling somewhat toned. My teens are often amazing however. They want to know everything, they want to see everything, they sometimes hate me, they sometimes love me. But they keep me on my toes, they make me howl with laughter, and cry with hurt. I can see myself in secondary education fo' sho' (cause I'm blates down wi' the kids, innit).

I can honestly say now that coming to Poland and doing this insane adventure was the best god damned decision of my life. It has opened my eyes to so much in just 2 months. I feel like I have changed, I have grown up, and that my confidence levels have raised so high that I am not even phased by the prospect of standing in a room of 20 odd soldiers and telling them they're saying things wrong.

I have had such a nostalgic week teaching Bonfire Night and thus thinking back to the 5th November 2012. Life was so different, and I was so different. I know it's cheesy and very self gratifying but I couldn't be prouder of how much I have achieved this year. The shit that I was dealing with in just March of this year is now a distant memory. I thought I would be affected by it all for a long time, but it turns out I just needed to go to a beautiful place and clear my head, and in doing so I have found my passion and my plan.

Poland, you have already been a intense page turner, here's to the next 4 months of stress, lesson planning, and defending my lack of religion. I can't wait :D

Peace out and have a great weekend.

P.s CANDY FLOSS!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment