So the last time that you heard from me I was hating on my life on the dole, fully believing that I would be unemployed forever, and basically believing that leaving Poland was the most catastrophic decision that I had ever made.
What's changed? Well two days after that blog post I was interviewed for a role at the University of Leeds and offered the job on the same day, which I duly accepted. That's been pretty awesome. When I was making my plans to come back I decided that if I ended up working in Leeds I would ideally like to work at one of the universities, harnassing my HR experience from a previous life. So I got what I wanted there. It's been two months now and I'm really loving the office that I work in. They're great believers of organised fun, which is fine by me. It means that I've done lots of baking, played 5 a side football for the first time ever and worn things to work that I normally wouldn't be seen dead in. I do love being staff at the University of Leeds. And now that I've finally found the Union (I thought I'd found it on my first day but I hadn't) I really feel like I'm a part of the uni, which sounds corny but it's true.
So that's been a massive improvement.
A couple of months ago I went for my first run in well over a year (turns out running for busses and trains doesn't count as a run) and thought my heart was going to explode. A few days after that I was handed a leaflet for a Colour Run in aid of the local hospice and so decided to sign up with my ridiculously fit and healthy sister. That's been the best motivation ever, half a mile killed me two months ago, now even when I run three I feel like I could do another, it's a brilliant feeling when you see the improvement. Plus I have one chin now, which is ace.
I haven't seen as many of my old favourites as I would have liked to yet but considering I was unemployed for two months I haven't done too badly. And a trip to the Deen is on the cards soon to stay with two of my favourite people in the whole world. One of my Panis from Poland is back in the country so I will be seeing her soon too to pounce on her and force her to drink Polish vodka with me. I'll be seeing more people in the coming months as well and hoping (!!!) some of them come to the land of the 'fax so that I can show them around (hint hint).
So the tone of this blog still makes me sound like I'm feeling a little 'meh' about my life but I really am just trying to make the best out of my situation. I'm really not where I thought I'd be at 25 but I'm determined that by 26 (or maybe 26 and a half) I will be booking my next flight to satisfy my ever-present wanderlust.
Everything happens for a reason, onwards and upwards and all the usual platitudes. It's not a bad life, and I really am on a rollercoaster that only goes up.
No comments:
Post a Comment