Wednesday, 29 January 2014

pięć miesięcy Polska

So, that's it. You all know now, I'm coming home in 5 weeks. The exact date has not yet been set and probably won't be for a while but if feels good to be able to talk about it and plan.
But this blog isn't about my reasons for moving home, needless to say they are quite personal....
I was speaking to Laura the other day about this, the amount of people who say "oh, you're doing the whole TEFL thing then." Then dismiss it as if it's not a legitimate way of life. It is, people. It is an amazing and rewarding experience that can totally be a career if you want it to be.
In all honesty, I thought I would hate this. I have always wanted to TEFL, but it was always only as an excuse to travel and get paid for it. Five months ago the concept of standing up in front of a bunch of teenagers, soldiers, pre-teens, and judging adults terrified the shit out of me. I had no confidence during my two weeks of training and trembled my way through my first lesson, with no idea how I would cope with my next five months here.
And then Krakow happened. I went from teaching with a structured method in a language school to ad-libbing communicative lessons with Polish kids aged from 6 to 17. Shitting myself didn't even begin to cover it, but it has done me the world of good. I never thought I would have this confidence, but all my fears died the minute I had to verbally bitch slap a class of eighteen teenagers for being twats. I didn't think I had it in me. Some days I still doubt it. But the best thing is that not only have I coped, but I sodding love it. That's right, I bloody love teaching. There are some kids that I am going to bawl my eyes out over saying goodbye to. It's going to be harder telling them than it was my boss and I know I'm going to have a speech planned. But it's ok, I'm going to bring them cake.

Since September I have met a bunch of incredible people who have inspired me, made me laugh like a mad woman, brought on inane conversations and a lot of vodka. I know that I will be friends with most of them forever. Poland itself has amazed me. I came here because of my heritage but have discovered so much more than I ever expected to. It's an absurd, slightly crazy yet beautiful country, that feels a world away from Britain. I know I'm going to miss it so much that it will make me ache.

These past months have been the best and most stressful months of my life, but I can say without a doubt that coming to Poland was the best and smartest decision I have ever made.
I can definitely say that the most important thing that I have learnt through this is that you have one life, and it is meant to be lived to the fullest. So take chances, follow your dreams and make big plans. Do more than just exist.
Next step is Russia, and I am so ready for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment