Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Adventure Kat Goes Forth


So it’s been three weeks since I became English and I have learnt the following things:
  1. The English/Scottish hatred seems to only be on the Scots side, the English love a Scottish accent.
  2. You can’t beat the simple things in life, like the ability to go home and sit in front of the telly with a cup of tea.
  3. Life isn’t the same without daily emails filled with cat memes.
  4. The world isn’t as grey as Aberdeen led me to believe. In fact, there are other stones in the world other than granite.

It’s weird, it feels like my Aberdeen life was decades ago, and I am still having difficulty believing that I have actually moved. I know it doesn’t really seem like a big deal, but giving that I spent near enough 24 years living in Aberdeen and the shire it still doesn’t feel real. But you always get used to this sort of thing, I can’t remember now what it was like having my mum live in Ellon, her being in Halifax just feels natural, and one day, hopefully soon, not living in Aberdeen will no longer be this new thing I’m trying out, but just life. And also hopefully soon I will stop having dreams about butteries and no longer dread walking up a hill (which by the way is what Halifax is completely made up of.)

So yes, it’s been interesting living here. It’s kind of all fitting into place now, I found a job within just 2 weeks, and ok it’s not my dream job but it beats the dole queue any day. I have a routine with gym, swimming, TEFLing, and making pretty things in place. My room is fully unpacked (thank Christ for the 40 odd bin bags of crap I threw away in Aberdeen) and I’m ready to get a wriggle on and do something with my life other than administer other people’s gripes. I can’t help but wonder if I’m having some sort of quarter life crisis and I’m only going to live until I’m 96. I read a friend’s blog about them and the phases feel all too familiar to me;

Phase one: feeling 'locked in' to a job/relationship.
Phase two: growing sense that change is possible.
Phase three: building a new life.
Phase four: fresh and exciting commitments.
So basically, I’m in the middle of phase 3, and planning for phase 4. I’m not doing too badly considering I didn’t even know I was having one. In my opinion this crisis is inevitable for most twenty-odd year olds coming into the real world in this day and age. It’s great that we can do and be whatever we want to, but with so much choice out there the possibilities can get confused in our minds. Do I want to be a writer like I always said I did? Do I want to teach like everyone assumes I do? Do I want to follow my childhood dreams and become a ballerina/post lady? I don’t even know any more  I have very exact desires about how I want to look, and how I want my personality to be perceived, but what I want to do with the rest of my life? The jury’s still out on that one.
But as some wise person who I found quoted on an artistic picture on Pinterest once said: we must take adventures to find where we truly belong. And to be honest, if we translate that to travelling across Europe teaching English as a foreign language for ‘a while’ (as my vague timescale dictates) then this whole quarter life crisis thing ain’t too shabby at all.
 
You can read about Katy’s quarter life crisis here:

No comments:

Post a Comment